Monday, February 21, 2011

Jinky's Cafe

LOCATION –
Jinky's is located at 2nd and Broadway in Santa Monica. When you walk through the door it looks like a breakfast café with bright yellow walls. I chose to sit on the porch and soak in the sunshine.

ON THE MENU –
I perused the menu looking for what I came for and my eyes lit up when I saw it, the Kobe Burger. I ordered it, even though it was a hefty $14.00. The burger came with your choice of cheese. I opted for cheddar, which covered the sautéed mushrooms, grilled onions and awesomely draped the top of the half-inch thick patty. The cold items were on the side, such as; a tomato, lettuce, pickles, salad peppers and sliced onion. It came on a barley-toasted bun. When I took my first bite, it reminded me of a back yard bar-b-q grill burger (in a good way). The onions were perfectly grilled and the burger was tasty, however they served my burger “well” instead of “medium”. This was a problem because I was paying for Kobe!!! Kobe beef has a higher fat content than regular Angus therefore making it more flavorful and juicy thus making it more desirable driving the price up. When you cook Kobe beef at a temperature over medium it melts the fat, therefore making it almost indistinguishable from your regular Angus burger.

ON DRAFT –
Nothing. Grrrrrrrr. I just had a glass of water.

ON THE SIDE –
You have 2 options that come with the burger, mixed green salad or crinkle cut fries. I ordered the fries and with one bite I felt duped. They tasted like they came straight from the local grocery store freezer section. Note to self – whenever a restaurant says, “crinkle cut fries” this is more than likely the scenario. I also had ordered tater tots as a starter since it was not a side option and guess what… same thing.

TIP –
The place is only open from 7:30am to 3:30pm, so if you are going to go for a burger make it lunch, otherwise I have heard the breakfast is good.

SUMMARY –
Their slogan says “reasonable prices” and “superior quality cuisine”, and those were my two issues with this burger. Even though the burger tasted good, I feel that it wasn’t worth more than 8 dollars, especially when it is served with frozen bagged grocery store fries.

RATING – 4 out of 10

Check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment