Saturday, February 5, 2011

D-Town Burger Bar


LOCATION -
I picked up my lunch break burger at D-Town Burger Bar at 6th and Spring. Their other location, also in downtown Los Angeles, is at 8th and Olive. The 50’s retro diner décor looked inviting but I grabbed my grub to go.

ON THE MENU -
"One Double Cheeseburger, I’ll take it how you make it", unfortunately, not the best choice this time. My personal preference is mayo, but was served with plain ordinary mustard. For some this could be a plus.

The toppings included a small amount of raw onions, chopped lettuce, pickles and two flavorless tomato slices (you know like they were pre-sliced before they were ripe and stored in the freezer for a month). After my 3rd bite they had to go. The bun was, well, just a normal average bun, nothing special to it, but the meat was good.

The two thin patties were covered with cheddar cheese and dripping with grease. This was positively the best part of the burger (which it should be). It reminded me of the burgers I got as a kid at my neighborhood hamburger joint, nothing fancy, just a greasy burger. Now, I am not a burger snob, I don’t have to have aoli or blue cheese to like it, but disrespecting the burger by putting the toppings under the patties is plain unethical. I don't know if this is their normal construction, or their not so brilliant fad, but I took it as the cook's laziness and just one more thing that questioned the burger’s integrity.

ON DRAFT -
Nothing! No Alcohol. AKA not the place for me. However you can get sodas and orange juice. Fresh Squeezed? Beats me, I’m still thinking about the bottom toppings and not crying over my beer.

ON THE SIDE –
To my surprise, my side was a conglomerate of traditional skinny cut potatoes and sweat potato fries. Here is my opinion on sweet potato fries - if you can't make them perfect don't make them at all. On the other hand I did enjoy the “normal” fries. They tasted fresh cut and fried to perfection.

TIP -
I would only recommend eating here If you happen to be downtown after a night of bar hopping, because D-Town Burger Bar is open until 3 am Thursdays through Saturdays, and breakfast is on the menu.

SUMMARY -
In the end this is just a greasy burger and great fries for about 10 bucks, but the key is that it is open late!

RATING: 3.5 out of 10

D-Town Burger Bar links

No comments:

Post a Comment