Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Apple Pan

LOCATION –
The Apple Pan is located in West LA at 10801 West Pico Blvd. It stands out as the old house on the block, as it should because it has been there since 1947. When you walk inside people are just leaning against the wall waiting for the next available spot at the U-shaped bar. There are no tables and no waiting list, you just grab an open seat and bump elbows with the person next to you. The founder of the Johnny Rockets chain, Ronn Teitleaum, actually used this place as the model for his 1940’s themed restaurants.

ON THE MENU –
There are 2 burgers on the menu; The Steak Burger and The Hickory Burger and both run about 7 dollars. As the man behind the counter squirted ketchup on a plate and slid it over to me he told me that the Hickory Burger was the popular one. “I’ll take one.” The burger arrived about 3 minutes later with a super thin patty, a ton of iceberg lettuce, and pickles. It was covered in Hickory sauce and everything was between an average white bread bun. I usually do not like anything resembling BBQ sauce to come close to my burgers, but this was okay. It was like sweet ketchup with a hickory flavor. There was one draw back; it is small, so small I actually ordered again, the Steak Burger this time. Three minutes later it came out. It was basically the same thing but instead of hickory sauce it had mayo and relish. I have to say I was not really a fan. (For those keeping score that’s 14 dollars in burgers!)

ON DRAFT –
No alcohol here, they don’t even have a soda fountain. My can of buck fifty Diet Coke came with a paper cone cup and a metal cone cup holder. I had never seen this before. I guess it was from before my time, but it was kind of neat.

ON THE SIDE –
Just fries, so I ordered some and they were about 2 dollars extra. They were exactly what I expected from an old joint like this, thicker dark golden brown delicious fries. They were heavy though, not like the skinny cut light colored fries I have been eating lately.

TIP –
They are open until midnight on weekdays and 1:00am on weekends and they are closed on Mondays. Bring cash because that is all they take.

SUMMARY –
I didn’t find anything special about this much talked about burger. I also found the burger to be overpriced. What really stands out is the history of the landmark. If I was in the area after a few drinks I might stop in for some fries, but if I wanted a burger I would go to Westside Tavern right across the street.

RATING – 3.5 out of 10

They do not have an official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment