Friday, March 25, 2011

The Yard

LOCATION –
I hit The Yard, located at 119 Broadway in Santa Monica for dinner. This neighborhood gastropub was the creation of CJ Jacobson (Top Chef contestant). At 6:30 on a Friday night the place was packed, luckily they had an open table.

ON THE MENU –
I ordered the House Ground Yard Burger, which comes with Grafton Cheddar, grilled onions, heirloom tomatoes, shredded lettuce and 1000 island dressing. The meal arrived in about a beers time and looked beautiful. I got excited when I saw the heirloom tomatoes, because good tomatoes are something that most burgers, in my experience, lack. I just wish they were not cooked, because they would have been so much more flavorful. The 1000 island dressing scared me at first because I am generally not a fan, but I have to say, it tasted pretty good on this burger. The patty was an interesting conglomerate made of Ground Chuck, Ageel Angus, Short Rib and Pancetta. I was most excited for the short rib mix in the patty, but I couldn’t taste it. Don’t get me wrong, the meat was good, but not worth the price of each ingredient. The thick slices of melted Grafton Cheddar were awesome and possibly the best cheese I have ever had on a burger. The bun was delicious as well and I could tell the perfect amount of butter went into it. Both of these ingredients made me really want to come back to try the Thursday Grill Cheese special.

ON DRAFT –
This place has a ton of awesome beers on tap and in bottles. They also usually have a special cask of some sort. They even have “Taste the Tap” which is a taster of any 3 craft beers for 6 bucks, which was tempting, but I started with a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA on draft. Then I had a Double Bastard on draft with my burger, which was delicious.

ON THE SIDE –
The burger comes with a small portion of triple cooked fries (boiled, baked and fried). I inquired about them and they said that this method insure that the fries were crispy. I didn’t find them very crispy, but on the other hand they were thick home-style fries.

For a starter I got the Arancini, which were crispy risotto balls in spicy marinara. They were delicious and the marinara sauce was awesome. It tasted a bit more like a vodka sauce, but that was probably why I liked it so much. No doubt about it, I will definitely be ordering this next time.

Since the deserts looked so good on paper, I had to try one. I went with warm sweet potato doughnuts with Mexican hot chocolate. These were super fresh and the Mexican hot chocolate dipping sauce was really spicy. Both of them together were fantastic. And the best part about it, the spiciness tasted great with my beer.

TIP –
They are only open nights, except for Sunday brunch, so get here early or make a reservation. The Yard is a perfect place to eat and/or grab a drink at after watching the sunset from the Santa Monica bluffs (about 150 yards away).

SUMMARY –
The burger was good, but was a little pricey for $15, however all the drink selections, the delicious appetizers and desert means I will be coming back soon to sample more menu items.

RATING – 8 out of 10

Check out their website here.
http://www.theyardsm.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment